For anybody looking for training on the Microsoft Application Lifecycle tools one of the absolute best resources is Brian Keller’s ALM virtual machine. The Visual Studio 2012 ALM virtual machine and corresponding hands-on-labs / demo scripts were updated to include Visual Studio 2012 Update 2. http://bit.ly/Y08zwZ
There are 21 hands-on-labs for you to take a scripted approach towards learning this content. These labs double as demo scripts in case you want to show off these features to others:
New features in Visual Studio 2012:
- Agile Project Management in Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2012 UPDATED for Update 2
- Building the Right Software – Generating Storyboards and Collecting Stakeholder Feedback with Visual Studio 2012
- Diagnosing Issues in Production with IntelliTrace and Visual Studio 2012
- Unit Testing, Code Coverage, and Code Clone Analysis with Visual Studio 2012 UPDATED for Update 2
- Making Developers More Productive with Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2012
- Exploratory Testing and Other Enhancements in Microsoft Test Manager 2012
- Introduction to PreEmptive Analytics
- Lab Management Improvements in Visual Studio 2012
- Testing and Debugging SharePoint 2010 Applications with Visual Studio 2012
Labs upgraded from Visual Studio 2010:
- Authoring and Running Manual Tests using Microsoft Test Manager 2012 UPDATED for Update 2
- Introduction to Test Planning with Microsoft Test Manager 2012
- Introduction to Test Case Management with Microsoft Test Manager 2012 UPDATED for Update 2
- Introduction to Platform Testing with Microsoft Test Manager 2012
- Introduction to Coded UI Tests with Visual Studio Ultimate 2012
- Branching and Merging Visualization with Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2012
- Debugging with IntelliTrace using Visual Studio Ultimate 2012
- Using Code Analysis with Visual Studio 2012 to Improve Code Quality
- Understanding Class Coupling with Visual Studio Ultimate 2012
- Code Discovery using the Architecture Tools in Visual Studio Ultimate 2012
- Using the Architecture Explorer in Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 to Analyze Your Code
- Introduction to Web Performance and Load Testing with Visual Studio Ultimate 2012
Links to the files above are included in the download set below, so you don’t have to follow the individual links above if you plan on batch downloading all of the files in this set.
There are also DemoMates available for most of these hands-on-labs / demo scripts which you can download here. DemoMates are useful for being able to “click through” the scenarios above without needing to download and run the virtual machine.
Downloading the virtual machine and labs:
I suggest using a download manager for these files since they are very large. My download manager of choice is Free Download Manager. You can use your own favorite download manager, but you may need to adapt the instructions below as appropriate.
1. Download and install Free Download Manager. This utility provides:
– Auto-resume support for interrupted downloads.
– Multiple simultaneous download streams for (usually) a much faster download experience.
– As the name implies, it’s completely free.
2. Select the URL’s below and copy (CTRL+C) them to your clipboard.