The PPL team is proud to announce that the first release of the PPL Power Pack (v0.1.0) is now available on CodePlex. The power pack is an open source feature extension package for PPL tasks in Visual Studio 2012 and Visual Studio 2013 preview. It extends the capabilities of PPL tasks by adding new productivity features and scenarios. If you are not familiar with PPL tasks please visit MSDN page to learn more.
What is exactly is the PPL Power Pack? It is an open source, header only project that work seamlessly with your existing projects without any additional overhead. It ships under the Apache 2.0 license which allows you to freely use, fork and modify the code base. Releasing the power pack as an open source project on CodePlex is a great way to deliver new and exciting features more often.
The experimental features included in this pack have been carefully chosen to provide real value to our customers based on feedback we have received. Although they may not be of product quality, they do come with a promise that we’ll stand behind them and help you if you have issues and fix bugs that you run into. Intended that with positive customer feedback and support we may eventually incorporate certain features into future releases of PPL.
This first release includes the following features:
- Ability to compose heterogeneous tasks using the when_all / when_any methods.
- Ability to pass local variables though continuations without using global variables.
- Ability to easily create an async task continuation loop on fly.
- Ability to run or cancel tasks after a given time.
- Ability to report and track progress information for tasks.